- 1 cup red lentil
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot chili pepper powder (optional)
- 1 chicken broth cube or veg. broth
Number of servings: 5
Amount per serving
Carbohydrates (g): 25
Protein (g): 10.2
Total Fat (g): 7.3
Of which saturated (g): 1
Cholesterol (mg): 0.4
- Rinse the lentils until water runs clean.
- Put the lentils with 3 cups of water over medium high heat.
- Partially cover on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan, saute the onion, salt and pepper with olive oil. Add the chili (optional) and stir until the onions are lightly brown.
- Once the lentils are done, mash them with spoon then add the onions and mix.
- Dissolve the chicken broth cube in 2 of water, add it to the lentils mix and bring to boil.
- You can add some vegetables like carrots or parsley.
- Garnish with parsley, green onion and cumin.
For a healthier version of this recipe
Lentils are a low-fat source of protein and they do not contain saturated fat; they are a healthy way of increasing the fiber intake. You can use a non-stick pan, lightly greased with a cooking spray to minimize the quantity of oil used to fry onions.
Good source of
Iron, Calcium , Potassium, Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K